As any motorcyclist knows, taking preventative steps to ensure your safety on the road is essential. This is especially true in the aftermath of a motorcycle accident. It is crucial that you know how to properly handle the situation to protect your well-being.
Some key steps to take include seeking medical attention as soon as possible, reporting all injuries and symptoms, and avoiding saying anything to insurance adjusters or signing any documents until after talking with a lawyer.
If you find yourself a victim of a motorcycle crash in Bakersfield, Kern County, let these tips serve as a guide for effectively navigating the aftermath of an accident and protecting yourself in the process. With the right knowledge and preparation, you can rest assured that you will be able to handle this situation calmly and effectively.
And remember: in times of need, having legal counsel on your side can make all the difference in ensuring a successful resolution.
Bakersfield Motorcycle Accident Statistics
The number of motorcycle accidents in Bakersfield has been on the rise in recent years. In 2019, there were a total of 467 motorcycle accidents in the city, which represented a 16% increase from the previous year.
Of these accidents, nearly 60% resulted in injuries and 10% resulted in fatalities. This is a significant increase from the year before when only 50% of motorcycle collisions resulted in injuries.
The rise in motorcycle accidents can be attributed to a number of factors, including the increasing popularity of motorbikes, the improved economy, and the fact that more people are choosing to ride motorcycles as a means of transportation. Busy streets like Highway 178, Taft Highway, and even Rosedale Highway have seen their fair share of head-on collisions between different vehicles. Whatever the reason, it is clear that accidents are a problem for motorcycle riders in Bakersfield.
Common Injuries That Motorcyclists Suffer Due To Accidents
There are a number of different injuries that motorcycle riders can suffer as a result of an accident. Some of the most common include:
- Head injuries: Head injuries are some of the most serious and life-threatening injuries that a person can suffer in an accident. Due mostly to impact force, these can range from concussions to traumatic brain injuries, and they often require extensive medical treatment and rehabilitation.
- Neck injuries: Neck injuries are also common in motorcycle accidents. Whiplash is particularly common, but other neck injuries can include spinal cord damage, herniated discs, and nerve damage.
- Road rash: Road rash is a type of injury that occurs when the skin comes into contact with the ground or another surface. It can range from mild to severe, and in some cases, it can require cosmetic surgery to repair.
- Broken bones: Broken bones are another common type of injury that motorcyclists can suffer in an accident. They can be extremely painful and may require surgery to heal properly.
After an accident, it is important to stay informed about your recovery progress and the steps you will need to take in order to heal fully. Your doctor will be a crucial partner in this process, providing you with information and guidance at every stage of your journey back to good health.
Within a day or two after your accident, your doctor will likely provide you with an initial assessment of the nature and severity of your injuries. This assessment can give you a better sense of the road ahead, helping you to set appropriate expectations for your recovery process and to chart a smart course for moving forward.
This same evaluation is also critical to your claim for damages versus the negligent driver. You need a medical report detailing both your minor and major injuries to help you get maximum compensation from insurance.
Steps To Take After A Motorcycle Crash In Bakersfield
If you have been involved in a motorcycle accident in Bakersfield, there are a few key steps that you should take in order to protect your rights and interests, especially in making an insurance claim. These steps include:
- Call the police: One of the first things you should do after an accident is to call the police. This will ensure that a full report is made of the accident, and it will also help to document the scene of the crash.
- Get medical help: If you have been injured, it is important to get medical help as soon as possible. This will ensure that your injuries are treated and that you have documentation of the extent of your injuries.
- Take photos: Be sure to take photos of the scene of the accident, as well as any injuries that you have suffered. This documentation can be extremely helpful in the later stages of your case.
- Gather information: Be sure to get the contact information for any witnesses who saw the accident. This will be crucial if you need to prove what happened in court.
- Contact an attorney: One of the most important things you can do after an accident is to contact an experienced motorcycle accident attorney. A lawyer can make sure that your filing is within the statute of limitations (typically two years in California), ensure that the initial investigation has all the relevant elements, and negotiate with the insurance provider on your behalf.
It is highly discouraged that you call the insurance company at this time as they will do everything in their power to devalue or deny your claim. Insurance adjusters are notorious for trying to take advantage of accident victims by giving them a lowball offer that’s far below what their losses are worth, so it is important that you have an attorney for motorcycle accidents on your side who can protect your interests.
Recoverable Damages From A Motorcycle Accident
There are a few different types of damages that you may be able to recover after a motorcycle accident in Bakersfield. Damages and coverage for motorcycle crash cases can include:
- Medical expenses: One of the most common types of damages that accident victims seek is reimbursement for their medical costs. This can include the cost of hospitalization, surgery, rehabilitative care, and more.
- Lost wages: You may be able to recover damages for any wages that you have lost as a result of your injuries. This can include lost earnings from time missed at work, as well as lost future earning potential.
- Pain and suffering: This refers to the physical and emotional anguish that you have suffered as a result of your injuries. This can include things like physical pain, mental suffering, emotional distress, and more.
- Property damage: If your motorcycle was damaged or destroyed in the accident, you may be able to recover damages for the cost of repairs or replacement. This also covers any other personal property that was damaged in the accident.
- Wrongful death: In a fatal motorcycle crash, family members of the deceased may be able to file a personal injury claim against the at-fault parties and their insurance providers.
- Punitive damages: In some cases, additional compensation for punitive damages may also be available. These are designed to punish the at-fault party for their negligence and to deter others from engaging in similar behavior. This usually happens if the negligent party was under the influence of drugs or alcohol and doing careless road maneuvers.
Benefits of Having an Experienced Motorcycle Accident Lawyer By Your Side
There are many benefits to having an experienced personal injury lawyer by your side after an accident. These benefits can include:
- Knowledge of the law: One of the biggest benefits of having an attorney is that they have extensive knowledge of the law. They can evaluate eligibility for compensation and navigate the legal process on behalf of crash victims.
- Aggressive representation: Insurance adjusters will most certainly try to lower the value of your personal injury claim, so you will need somebody who can fight for you. An attorney will negotiate with the insurance companies to ensure that you get the medical treatment you need and the maximum compensation possible.
- Expertise in head-on motorcycle accident cases: One of the most important benefits of having an attorney is that they have expertise in motorcycle accidents. This means that they will know how to build a strong case and maximize your chances of success.
If you have been involved in a motorcycle accident in Bakersfield, it is important that you contact an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer as soon as possible. An attorney can protect your rights and interests, and he or she will also be able to help you navigate the legal process.
At Motorcyclist Attorney, we have extensive experience handling motorcycle accident cases in Bakersfield and California. We will aggressively represent your interests and fight to get you the best medical treatment and the highest financial compensation possible.Contact our motorcycle and auto accident lawyers today for a free, no-obligation consultation. We’ll help you file a claim before time runs out. We work on a contingency fee basis, which means we don’t charge any fees unless we win. We speak English and Spanish.