Filing a Claim For Motorcycle Accident Injuries in Los Angeles
Motorcycle accidents can be catastrophic and life-altering. They can lead to significant physical and emotional trauma, resulting in a long road to recovery. If you have been involved in a motorcycle accident in Los Angeles and suffered injuries, you may be eligible to file a claim for motorcycle accident injuries. However, the process of filing a claim can be complex and overwhelming, especially if you are already dealing with the aftermath of the accident.
Got into a motorcycle accident?
In this article, we will provide you with all the information you need to navigate the process of filing a claim for motorcycle accident injuries in Los Angeles. From gathering evidence to dealing with insurance companies, we will walk you through the steps you need to take to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.
Common Types of Motorcycle Injuries
Motorcycle accidents can result in various types of injuries, some of which can be life-threatening or permanent. Here are the five most common types of motorcycle injuries:
Road rash is a type of abrasion caused by friction between the skin and the road surface. When a motorcyclist falls off their bike or is thrown from it, they may slide across the road and sustain severe abrasions, which can cause pain, infection, scarring, and nerve damage.
Head injuries are the most serious type of injury that motorcyclists can sustain. Even if a rider is wearing a helmet, they can still suffer from traumatic brain injuries that can lead to long-term disability or death.
Motorcycle accidents often result in broken bones, particularly in the arms, legs, and ribs. These injuries can be extremely painful and can take several months to heal, often requiring surgery or physical therapy.
Spinal Cord Injuries
Spinal cord injuries are another common type of injury in Los Angeles motorcycle accidents. These injuries can lead to permanent paralysis, loss of sensation, or loss of bodily functions.
Motorcycle accidents can also cause internal injuries, such as damage to internal organs, bleeding, and bruising. These injuries can be difficult to detect and can lead to long-term complications if left untreated.
Steps To Take Following A Motorcycle Accident
The moments following a motorcycle accident can be chaotic and confusing. However, taking the right steps can make all the difference when it comes to filing a successful claim. Here’s what you should do after a motorcycle accident in Los Angeles:
- Call 911: The first thing you should do after a motorcycle crash is to call 911. Calling 911 will ensure that the police are notified, and an accident report is filed.
- Seek medical attention: Even if you don’t feel like you have been seriously injured, it’s important to seek medical attention as soon as possible as you might have serious injuries like a traumatic brain injury (TBI). Other injuries, such as whiplash and concussions, may not become apparent until days or even weeks after the crash.
- Gather evidence: If you are physically able, gather as much evidence as possible at the accident scene. This may include taking photos of the damage to your motorcycle, the other party involved, and any property damage. You should also exchange contact and insurers’ information with the other motorist, and collect the names and contact information of any witnesses to the accident.
- Contact an attorney: It is crucial to contact a skilled motorcycle accident attorney following an accident. Seeking legal representation can ensure that your claim is filed within the statute of limitations, typically two years in California, and that the initial investigation includes all relevant information. An attorney can also negotiate with the insurance provider on the motorcycle accident victim’s behalf to help you obtain a favorable outcome.
How to File a Claim for Motorcycle Accident Injuries in Los Angeles
Once you have taken the necessary steps after the accident, it’s time to begin the process of filing a motorcycle accident claim for compensation against a negligent driver. Here’s what you need to do:
- Contact a personal injury attorney: The first thing you should do is contact a personal injury attorney who specializes in motorcycle accident cases. They will be able to provide you with guidance on the best way to proceed with your claim and can help you navigate the complex legal system.
- Gather evidence: Your attorney will need to gather evidence to support your insurance claim. This may include medical records, witness statements, and police reports.
- Determine liability: To file a successful claim, it is important to determine the liability of the at-fault driver in the accident. Your personal injury lawyer can assist you in this process by investigating the accident, gathering evidence, and proving the negligence of the at-fault party involved.
- Calculate compensation for damages: Once the fault has been determined, your attorney will work with you to calculate the damages you are entitled to. The claim for compensation includes economic and non-economic losses, including past and future medical expenses, lost wages, emotional distress, pain and suffering, and property damage claims.
- Negotiate with insurance companies: Your attorney will negotiate with the insurance adjuster to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve. They will also be able to provide you with guidance on whether to accept a fair settlement from the other motorcyclist’s insurance or file a personal injury lawsuit and take the case to court.
Filing a Claim For Motorcycle Accident Injuries in Los Angeles: Frequently Asked Questions
How long do I have to file a claim for a motorcycle accident in Los Angeles?
The statute of limitations, also known as the filing deadline, for personal injury claims in California is two years. However, it’s important to begin the process as soon as possible to ensure you have enough time to gather evidence and build a strong case, then file a claim for compensation.
Do I need a motorcycle accident lawyer to file a claim for a motorcycle accident in Los Angeles?
While it is possible to file a claim without a lawyer, it’s highly recommended that you hire a personal injury attorney who specializes in motorcycle accident cases. They will be able to provide you with guidance on the best way to proceed with your claim from the liable insurance company and from yours (if applicable) and can help you navigate the complex legal system.
What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
In California, you may still be eligible for fair compensation even if you were partially at fault for the accident. However, the amount of compensation you are entitled to may be reduced based on your percentage of fault. This is why it’s important to work with an experienced personal injury attorney who can help you navigate this complex area of the law.
What if the other driver doesn’t have insurance?
If the other motorcycle rider does not have insurance, you may still be able to file a claim for compensation. However, the process may be more complicated, and it’s important to work with an experienced personal injury attorney who can help you navigate the situation.
File Your Claim As Soon As Possible
Filing a claim for motorcycle accident injuries in Los Angeles can be a complex and overwhelming process. However, by following the steps outlined in this article, you can ensure that you have the best possible chance of receiving the compensation you deserve. Remember to seek medical attention as soon as possible, gather as much evidence as possible at the scene of the accident, and work with an experienced personal injury attorney who can guide you through the process. With the right support and guidance, you can take the first steps toward a successful recovery.
Succeed In Getting the Best Compensation From Your Motorcycle Injury Claim
There are various types of claims that insurance companies handle, and one of the most tedious is going through an accident injury claim process. Having an experienced motorcycle accident attorney by your side will help you file a claim for motorcycle accident injuries without missing the details and necessary documents to support your claim.
Hiring a skilled attorney specializing in Los Angeles motorcycle accidents helps you obtain all the important medical and police reports required to ensure that you receive equitable treatment and the highest possible compensation for the damages you have suffered.
Although the insurance company might initially propose a sum in the hundreds, having a Los Angeles motorcycle accident attorney to advocate for you could significantly increase your claim.
Motorcyclist Attorney, California’s award-winning motorcycle accident attorney, offers a No Fee Guarantee that eliminates any concerns you may have. Call us today.