Riders often find a sense of accomplishment in conquering dangerous roads. However, despite their confidence and preparation, catastrophic motorcycle crashes can occur unexpectedly.
Motorcycle accidents often result in serious physical injuries that require extensive medical care and can lead to long-term physical disabilities. In addition, motorcyclists may lose their income due to time off work, as well as suffer from emotional distress and psychological trauma.
Having a thorough understanding of your legal rights is key if you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident due to someone else’s negligence.
In this article, we will discuss everything you need to know about motorcycle injuries and lawsuits. Starting with the common causes of motorcycle crashes, common injuries and how it affects the victims, and what measures you can take towards seeking fair financial compensation.
Understanding Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle accidents are potentially devastating, often leading to life-altering injuries or wrongful death. Due to their lack of protection compared to other vehicles on the road, motorcycle riders are more prone to being injured in a crash. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) estimates that 9,560 fatalities occurred in motor vehicle traffic crashes during the first quarter of 2022 in the United States. (Read more: Motorcycle Accidents Los Angeles Statistics)
Motorcycle accidents are often caused by the negligence of other drivers, road conditions, DUI drivers, and other factors. Some common causes of these accidents in California include:
- Negligence by other drivers
- Hazardous or poor road conditions
- Poor weather conditions
- Failing to yield the right of way to motorcyclists
- Reckless driving
Injuries in motorcycle accidents can be severe for the victims, and not only in a physical way. Some of the motorcycle riders involved in accidents suffer catastrophic injuries such as:
- Skull fractures
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Road rash
- Spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones
- Head injuries or brain damage
- Eye injuries
- Soft tissue injuries
- A broken wrist
- Neurological damage
The emotional trauma that victims of motorcycle accidents suffer can be crippling and long-lasting. Victims may suffer from depression, anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder, loss of consortium, or other emotional issues. In general, a motorcycle accident can result in economic damages and non-economic damages.
Understanding the causes and consequences of motorcycle-related accidents can help drivers stay safe on the road. Some of the motorcycle safety tips riders can follow to prevent these terrific accidents include:
- Always wear protective gear, including a motorcycle helmet and other safety equipment.
- Ride defensively and be aware of other motorists on the busy road.
- Practice motorcycle riding on a closed course before taking it out on public roads.
- Avoid drinking or drug use before or during motorcycle rides.
- Obey the speed limit and do not engage in reckless behavior such as weaving through traffic or speeding.
If you or someone you love has been involved in a motorcycle accident that causes severe injuries, trust the best Motorcyclist Attorney in town!
The Cost of Negligence
Motorcycle accidents can have a devastating impact on victims and their families, both physically and financially. Negligence can be a significant factor in these accidents, and the cost of such negligence can be substantial.
Here are some of the financial tolls that motorcycle accidents may have on victims:
- Medical expenses: Motorcycle accidents often result in serious injuries and expensive medical bills. Victims may require emergency medical care, hospitalization, surgeries, and rehabilitation, all of which can be very costly.
- Lost wages: Motorcycle accident victims may be unable to work for an extended period due to their injuries. This can result in lost wages and reduced earning capacity, which can be a significant financial burden.
- Property damage: Motorcycle accidents can also damage the bike, which can be expensive to repair or replace.
- Pain and suffering: The physical and emotional pain and suffering that victims experience as a result of their injuries can also have a financial impact, such as the cost of counseling or therapy.
Accountability must be held for those responsible for motorcycle accidents. This includes negligent responsible drivers, road authorities, and manufacturers, to provide victims with appropriate compensation for pain and their losses, and serve as a sign that negligence is unacceptable.
What is the Role of Lawsuits in Motorcycle Accidents?
Motorcycle Accident Lawsuits play an essential role in seeking compensation for motorcycle accident victims. By holding the negligent party accountable, such action can provide victims with recompense for the losses they have suffered. There are several types of lawsuits that may be brought in motorcycle accident cases, including:
Personal injury lawsuits
These lawsuits are filed against the driver who caused the accident or other parties whose actions contributed to the accident. The goal of the motorcycle injury lawsuit is to recover compensation for the victim’s medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, motorcycle damage, and other damages.
Product liability lawsuits
These lawsuits are filed against the manufacturer of the motorcycle or motorcycle parts that may have caused the accident and the actual damages. For example, a product liability lawsuit may be filed if the motorcycle’s brakes failed or the tires were defective.
Wrongful death lawsuits
If a motorcycle accident results in a fatality, the victim’s family may file a wrongful death claim against the negligent party to recover compensation for their loss.
If you’ve been the victim of a motorcycle accident and are considering filing a lawsuit against the responsible parties, then you need to know how to have a successful lawsuit. Here are some steps you need to follow to have a successful lawsuit for motorcycle accidents:
- Find an experienced motorcycle accident attorney: Finding an experienced lawyer who understands everything about motorcycle accidents in California is essential for having a successful lawsuit. An attorney will be able to help you decipher complex legal terminology and offer expert advice for your particular case.
- Prove negligence: To win a personal injury lawsuit, the victim must prove that the other driver or other parties acted negligently and caused the accident. This may involve showing that the other driver was driving under the influence, texting while driving, or otherwise violating traffic laws.
- Establishing damages: The victim must also prove the extent of their damages, including medical bills, lost wages, and other losses resulting from the accident.
- Causation: The victim must demonstrate that the defendant’s actions caused the victim’s injuries and losses. This requires showing a clear connection between the defendant’s negligence and the victim’s damages.
- Time limits: It is important to file a lawsuit within the applicable statute of limitations, which varies by state. Missing this deadline can result in the case being dismissed.
Contact the Right Attorney for Your Case
Finding the right motorcycle accident lawyer for your case is important, as it can mean the difference between a successful result and an expensive failure. Firstly, look for an attorney who specializes in motorcycle accidents, and with whom you feel comfortable talking.
You can always search for “the best motorcycle accident lawyer near me” and explore the options online. Look for a motorcycle injury lawyer with a good track record and experience in the field of motorcyclists’ rights, choose an award-winning law firm with an experienced attorney that can ensure your success.
Search for professionals that seek your justice, not an economical interest in your case.
Choose An Attorney You Can Trust
Have you or a loved one been the victim of a motorcycle accident? You have legal rights to seek compensation or file a lawsuit against the at-fault driver for negligence.
At Motorcyclist Attorney, our award-winning personal injury lawyers are highly experienced in litigating lawsuits for such victims. We fight to get you a maximum settlement and handle all paperwork. Additionally, treatment from reliable medical providers is provided without out-of-pocket expenses. We work on a contingency basis, which means you won’t be charged unless we win your case. Contact us now for a free consultation. Our team speaks English, Spanish, and Filipino.