Got into a biking accident that wasn’t your fault?
Compensation may be available. Call Motorcyclist Attorney.
If you’re a California motorcycle rider, Pacific Coast Highway and Mulholland Drive are the ultimate routes to quench your thirst for adventure. With every turn of the wheel on these Hollywood-style roads, you’ll be taken on an exciting journey that will make you feel like a tough biking star! But don’t forget that reality can quickly put an end to all this fun.
Fatal motorcycle accidents are more common than we think in California. Even when safety regulations and helmet laws are taken into consideration, 80% of the motorcycle accidents in the state end up in severe injuries and even death, according to California Highway Patrol data.
Being a motorcycle accident victim not only causes bodily injuries — soft tissue injuries, spinal cord injuries, head injuries, neck injuries, or fatal injuries — that can have long-life effects, but also result in massive financial losses that affect the accident victims and their families.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a motorcycle accident, it is important to know the best course of action to claim damages from the liable party.
In this blog, we will discuss:
- What to do after a motorcycle crash
- If you can sue someone for a motorcycle accident
- How much money you can get from a motorcycle accident lawsuit
- Why hiring experienced motorcycle accident attorneys matters
What To Do After a Motorcycle Accident
Experiencing a motorcycle crash can be disorienting and traumatic, leading many victims to completely miss the details of what occurred. This makes it difficult to file an effective personal injury lawsuit in order to receive a fair settlement for economic damages or non-economic damages.
We understand that being involved in such an event is incredibly stressful, but there are essential steps you must take for filing motorcycle accident claims:
- Stay where you are and assess the damage.
- Call 911 immediately to get help if necessary.
- Move away from the road to a safe location, if possible.
- Document the scene thoroughly and obtain contact details or insurance information from any other drivers present, as well as eyewitnesses.
- Without delay, ensure that everyone involved in the accident is given proper medical treatment, regardless of whether anyone appears to have been injured or not. This step is paramount for your personal health and legal safety down the road.
- Make sure to capture images of all the vehicles involved, especially those indicating evidence of destruction from the accident, such as shattered pieces of glass and plastic.
- Don’t forget to document your physical injuries, either through photographs or a medical report/evaluation. Having proof of these injury records on hand is beneficial in the event that you need them for an insurance claim later down the line.
- Finally, to ensure your rights are protected and you receive the compensation necessary for damages caused by an accident, consider seeking counsel from a knowledgeable personal injury lawyer.
Can I Sue Someone for a Motorcycle Accident?
Yes. The injured person can take legal action, and the at-fault driver may be sued for personal injury after a motorcycle accident. It is important to note that even if you think filing a personal injury claim by yourself is an easy task, nothing will compare to having an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer to navigate the legal process and provide the representation you need to build a solid win.
How Can A Motorcycle Lawyer Help Determine If You Have A Case?
If you have been involved in a motorcycle accident and are considering pursuing a personal injury case, experienced lawyers can be a valuable resource. Here are some ways that a motorcycle accident lawyer can help you determine if you have a valid personal injury case:
- They can evaluate the facts of your case and determine if a claim is possible. A lawyer can review all of the police reports, emergency medical documentation, and other evidence related to your accident and assess whether or not you have grounds for a personal injury case.
- They can calculate how much compensation you may be entitled to receive as a result of an accident. A lawyer can look at the costs related to your medical bills, lost wages, and even possible pain and suffering or loss of consortium, in order to calculate an amount that you should expect to receive as part of an injury settlement.
- They can negotiate with insurance providers on your behalf. Seasoned motorcycle accident attorneys can work with insurers to ensure that you get the maximum compensation for your claim.
- They can represent you in court if necessary. If your case goes to trial, a lawyer can represent you and provide legal advice throughout the process.
What to Expect During the Motorcycle Accident Lawsuit Process
Once your claim is filed and the defendant has received their letter, it is probable their attorneys will try to reach you for settlement negotiations and end the case. Insurance carriers will also try to save money and make you sign a quick settlement deal that we ensure will NOT be the fair amount you are entitled to.
In the event a settlement cannot be reached, your case will proceed to arbitration or trial. During this process, you may be asked to testify and/or file pleadings and documents in support of your claim. Additionally, both parties may conduct discovery in order to obtain evidence for use at trial.
If a settlement is not reached during the pre-trial phase, a trial will be scheduled. In the event of a trial, both parties will present evidence and arguments before a judge or jury who will determine if the defendant is responsible for your injuries as well as what monetary damages are due to you.
Following either a settlement or trial, it is possible that an appeal may be filed. Depending on the judgment, either party may appeal the outcome. A trial court decision can be appealed to a higher court and a settlement agreement can also be contested if one side believes the other party did not comply with its terms.
There are a lot of inconveniences and situations that can happen to make you give up on justice, that’s why it is so important to have a trustworthy legal team by your side.
If you have been injured in an unfortunate motorcycle accident that was not your fault, then it is essential to know that you are eligible for financial compensation based on the actual damages sustained.
The sum of this restitution can range significantly depending on how serious the incident was and what insurance policy covers it. Victims may be entitled to thousands or even millions of dollars as recompense.
Here are some of the factors that can affect the amount of compensation you may be entitled to:
- The severity of your injury and any resulting disabilities.
- Lost wages due to the accident, including both past and future earnings.
- Medical expenses related to the accident, such as hospital bills, doctor visits, physical therapy treatments, medication costs, and more.
- Pain and suffering caused by the incident.
- Property damage caused by the accident.
- Loss of consortium or companionship due to a spouse, family member, or close friend being injured in the incident.
- Mental anguish resulting from the accident.
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident that was not your fault, an experienced personal injury attorney can help determine what compensation you may be entitled to. They can assess the details of your case and file a claim on your behalf, so that you may receive the maximum amount of compensation possible.
If you or a loved one has been injured in an unfortunate motorcycle accident, you deserve to get the maximum compensation for your damages and receive the appropriate medical attention.
An experienced motorcycle attorney will provide the support that creates a path toward recovery. With their expertise, they can ensure that all your needs are met so that you may put yourself back on track!
Finding the ideal motorcycle accident attorney near you can be an overwhelming mission. At Motorcyclist Attorney, we strive to make it easier by providing our clients with superior legal services and advice; never settle for less than what’s deserved!
Don’t even think of signing anything without first obtaining an award-winning lawyer who understands your situation fully and will fight diligently on your behalf. We are here to offer you the best possible legal options so that you have an opportunity at winning your case.