How to Get a Culver City Motorcycle License

culver city motorcycle license

How awesome is it to travel to your favorite spots in California anytime you want? Surely, riding your motorcycle in the famous Culver City is a breathtaking experience, especially along the globally-inspired restaurants, cocktail bars, nightlife scene, and its movie-making history. However, you need to save all the driving and riding fun for later if you don’t have a license yet. The first step for everything is to get your Culver City motorcycle license. 

Your driver’s license is arguably the most important thing in your wallet, even more than your credit cards or debit card. A license serves two purposes: first, to show that you are legally allowed to operate a vehicle, and, second, to serve as your identification card.  

Classes of Motorcycle Licenses in California

California issues two types of motorcycle licenses to bike riders: Class M1 and M2. The motorcycle that bike owners will drive depends on the license obtained to operate legally in the state. 

M1 licenses allow riders to operate the following vehicles:

  • Motor-driven cycle
  • Motorized bicycle
  • Motorized scooter
  • Moped
  • Two-wheel motorbike

M2 licenses holders are only limited to operating the following:

  • Motorcycle bicycle
  • Motorized scooter
  • Moped

Culver City Motorcycle Licensing Requirements

There are different processes for obtaining a Culver City Motorcycle license. However, it depends on your age. The following are the steps on how to obtain a California Motorcycle License:

For ages between 16-18 years old, you must have:

  • Your provisional instruction permit for a minimum of six months.
  • Completed driver education.
  • Completed six hours of professional driver training.
  • Completed 50 hours of practice with an adult 25 years old or older who has a valid California Driver’s License and can certify that you completed the 50 hours of practice.
  • Practice driving at night for at least 10 of the 50 practice hours.

If you fail your drive test, CA bicycle licensing laws state you must wait 14 days before you may take the test again. If you fail the driving test three times, your application is no longer valid and you must reapply. 

For those under 21 years old, you need to secure a motorcycle instruction permit at least six months before you apply for a license. After obtaining the instruction permit, you need to visit a DMV office where you will:

  • Submit your instruction permit
  • Submit proof that you have completed the driver’s education and training
  • Provide a Certificate of Completion of Motorcycle Training
  • Provide proof of your identity, Social Security Number (SSN), and two proofs of residency from the list of acceptable real ID documents (if you want to apply for an ID)
  • Complete the rest of the requirements

For individuals over 21 years of age, it is not necessary to secure an instruction permit before you apply for a motorcycle driver’s license. To get one, you may either complete a California Highway Patrol (CHP) approved California Motorcyclist Safety Program training course or pass a motorcycle driving test at a DMV office. To apply for a Culver City motorcycle license, you need to:

  • Provide your SSN
  • Identity verification
  • Present a California ID card or any other acceptable residency documents
  • Pass a vision exam
  • Scan your fingerprint
  • Pass the knowledge test
  • Provide a Certificate of Completion of Motorcycle Training or take the motorcycle driving test

Passing the knowledge test is allowed for up to three attempts. Failure of the test three times makes the application invalid. To apply for an ID, you must submit your proof of identity, SSN, and two proofs of residency.

Requirements for Motorcycle Skills and Knowledge Testing

All bike owners and riders must pass a motorcycle knowledge and skills test before obtaining a California motorcycle license. You can review your knowledge test by reading the California Motorcycle Handbook.

  • Read the test questions carefully. There will be one correct answer and the other two answer choices will be either obviously wrong or not appropriate for the question asked.
  • All the test questions are taken from the handbook. If you miss a question, the field office employee can tell you on which page to find the correct answer.

On the other hand, the skills test will determine whether an applicant has the capability to maneuver in traffic. The following maneuvers are part of the motorcycle skills test: 

  • Slow ride
  • Circle ride
  • Serpentine ride
  • Gear shift ride
  • Riding in the tracking paths

Apart from the knowledge test and skills exam, you can take an observation exam. During the observation exam, a state official will evaluate how you act during traffic situations. Your safety knowledge and skills will also be assessed during the live road test. 

For visitors in California who are over 18 years old and have a valid DL from your home state or country:

  • You may drive in this state without getting a California Driver’s License as long as your home state Driver’s License remains valid.
  • If you become a California resident, you must get a California motorcycle license within 10 days. Residency is established by voting in a California election, paying resident tuition, filing for a homeowner’s property tax exemption, or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to non-residents.

Behind-the-Wheel Drive Test for First Timers

First-time driver’s license applicants, and other applicants who meet certain conditions, need to pass a behind-the-wheel drive test before they can get a license. The purpose of a driving test is to determine whether you:

  • Can safely operate a vehicle
  • Can use safe driving habits
  • Can apply your knowledge of traffic laws in real-life situations
  • Can make up for any physical condition, such as loss of a limb, poor hearing, or a vision condition

There are two parts to the driving test:

  • The pre-drive safety check determines whether your vehicle meets the minimum DMV safety standards and whether you are familiar with the operation of your vehicle.
  • The Driving Performance Evaluation (DPE) is a Behind-the-Wheel drive test with a DMV examiner who evaluates your driving skills.

In addition, the DMV also offers two additional types of drive tests:

  • Supplemental Driving Performance Evaluation (SDPE) is given to applicants of any age who have a physical, mental, or vision condition, and/or a referral due to a lack of skill that may impact their ability to safely operate a vehicle.
  • Area Driving Performance Evaluation (ADPE) limits you to driving only in specified areas. If you are successful with the ADPE, your driver’s license will be restricted to only the areas where you were tested.

Types of Motorcycles That Require a License to Operate

Through your Culver City motorcycle license, you can ride a wide variety of bikes as defined under California State Law. 


A motor vehicle designed to travel on no more than three wheels containing a seat or saddle for the rider.

Motor-Driven Cycle

Any motorcycle with a motor smaller than 150 ccs. 

Motorized Bicycle/Moped

A vehicle with two or three wheels that cannot exceed a speed of 30 MPH on level ground. Mopeds must contain the following features:

  • Fully-functioning pedals, unless fully operated by electrical energy,
  • A motor with automatic transmission and less than 4 gross brake horsepower.

Electric Bicycle

A bicycle with an electric motor (750 watts or less) and functional pedals. 

Motorized Scooter

Any two-wheeled vehicle with a motor, handlebars, and floorboard is suitable for standing on while the device is in motion. Motorized scooters may also have a driver’s seat (that does not interfere with the ability to stand) and pedals. 

Motorcycle Insurance and Reporting Requirements

Individuals who have a Culver City motorcycle license should not just secure their license but also purchase their vehicle insurance policy. The insurance policy is needed to cover the cost of accidents, damage to property, and injuries. Failure to report an accident that resulted in injuries to the driver and passengers shall be a reason for the cancellation of your license. 

Under the California Law, motorcyclists must report an accident to the DMV when a collision:

  • Caused at least $750 worth of property damage
  • Caused any personal injury

California Motorcyclist Safety Program Training

To assure the safety of the rider and reduce the number of motorcycle accidents, applicants must first take the CMSP Training course. 

For applicants who are under 21 years old, the CMSP training course must be completed to receive a motorcycle instruction permit and a completion certificate. Applicants over 21 years old are only encouraged to enroll in the training program. 

After completing the CMSP training and submitting the Certificate of Completion of Motorcycle Training, the DMV motorcycle skills test may be waived. Meanwhile, the DMV will not waive the motorcycle skills test based on an out-of-state motorcycle training program or an in-state/out-of-state course completion card for insurance purposes.

Call Motorcyclist Attorney Immediately

Always remember that accidents happen anytime and anywhere despite driving cautiously. Even if you are extremely careful, other motorists might not be as cautious as you. After you obtain your California motorcycle license, save the contact number of Motorcyclist Attorney

You don’t have to worry about the fees. Our Culver City motorcycle accident attorney is here to help you get the best medical care, take care of the hospital bills, maximize your claim in personal injury, and pay for your property damage. No fees unless we win.

Do not hesitate to call us. Let us deal with the insurance companies so you don’t have to settle for small claims. Call our experienced Culver City accident lawyer today at (310) 997-4525 to set up a free consultation with our legal team, or send us a message online. We speak English and Spanish.


By submitting this form, I consent to receiving text messages and emails from Motorcyclist Attorney.





Copyright © 2024 MOTORCYCLIST ATTORNEY. All Rights Reserved.